GSC Research and Creative Achievement
The 2024 GSC Research and Creative Achievement Symposium will take place this spring. Please stay tuned for information on the symposium. Looking forward to an amazing event!
Questions? Contact Darienne Martin, GSC Director of Scholarships & Academics at email@example.com.
GSC Research and Creative Achievement Symposium Was Wonderful.
This year will be even better!
The 2023 Research and Creative Achievement Symposium will be on March 9th from 8am-4pm in the UM Student Union Ballroom. This event highlights the achievements and research being done by graduate and professional students at the University of Mississippi. This event is open to the public to come and see the amazing work being done, we’ll have a magnitude of presentations from students in a wide area of departments, from business to music, to pharmacy and more.
- Poster – A visual representation of research supported by a brief oral explanation. (~3 min. for oral component) You’ll be allowed to pin/hang a poster for people to walk around and see
- Pitch – A concise, prepared talk that promotes an idea or goal or business venture. ( 3 min.)
- Platform – A short powerpoint presentation-supported overview of your current research and future goals. ( 7 min.)
- Creative – A creative way to share a story, concept, or idea to an audience. (7 min.) This could be visual, audial, or short video, etc.
8:30-9:00 AM – Opening address in Union Ballroom
9:00 AM – 12:00 PM – Podium Session A in Room 323
Session Chair: Samuel Cole Smith
9:30 AM -11:50 AM – Creative Achievement Presentations in Student Union Ballroom
Session Chair: Katie Norris
11:30 AM – GRIT Catering Delivery
12:00-1:00 PM – Career Panel in Student Union Ballroom
Panel Chair: Amelia Craze
1:00 – 2:20 PM – Podium Session C in Room 323
Session Chair: Navya Nalajal
1:00 – 2:30 PM Poster Session A
Session Chair: Mario Djugovski
1:30-2:30 PM – Podium Session B in Room 326
Session Chair: Darrienne Martin & Amelia Craze (last 10 min)
2:30-4:00 PM – Poster Session B
Session Chair: Alexis Wagner
3-3:30 PM – Pitch Presentations in Room 326
Session Chair: Emily Rasmussen
When are abstracts due?
February 24th, 2023, at 5 pm CST.
What awards are available?
Each of the four sessions offers first-third place awards and a DEI award. The awards will be scholarships, meaning that they will be distributed via your bursar account. If you do not have a balance on your bursar, you will receive a reimbursement in 3-5 business days. The official amounts will be determined and advertised after the budget is confirmed. Awards are estimated to be anywhere from $500-$100.
When do I need to upload visual components for my creative achievement?
You will receive an email about where to upload slides, videos, or other materials after acceptance into the conference. Materials must be uploaded by March 3rd, 2023 at 5pm CST.
What if my creative achievement piece is an art installation or has a physical component?
Contact Darienne Martin, firstname.lastname@example.org to set up an installation time. This time will most likely be from 7am-8:30am before the event.
When do I need to upload my slides for pitch and presentation?
You will receive an email about where to upload slides after acceptance into the conference. Slides must be uploaded by March 3rd, 2023 at 5pm CST.
When do I have to turn in my poster?
If your poster is already printed, you must bring it with you and set it up prior to the poster session on March 9th, 2023. If you are utilizing the free poster printing (sponsored by the Graduate Student Council and Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry) you must submit your poster to the UM Library IDEAlab by March 1st, 2023 at 5pm CST.
What size can I print my poster?
Posters printed through the IDEAlab CANNOT be larger than 36″x46″. If you are bringing a poster that has already been printed, any size is allowed that will fit on the poster board displays that are 46″x46″.
How do I make my poster the right size?
If using PowerPoint, click on the DESIGN tab, then SLIDE SIZE, then select CUSTOM SIZE. Make the size 36 wide and 46 long. Save your file and resize your poster elements.
How do I print through the IDEAlab?
– Go to the poster printing page for the IDEA lab HERE
– Open the page that says “click here to submit your file,” then fill out your information. – — Choose March 7th for “expected date of completion,” choose “Matte” for print format, and choose “credit card” for payment.
– In the description box, submit your name, “Paid for by GSC,” and the password that will be distributed to all GSC Symposium poster presenters by February 28th, 2023.
– Check to make sure you receive a confirmation email, if not, it is your responsibility to reach out to the IDEAlab email@example.com to confirm your submission.
Do I pick up my poster from the IDEAlab?
– No, GSC volunteers will pay for and pick up your poster and set it up at your assigned station prior to the poster session.